It's 11:00am on a Sunday morning and you stumble out of bed dazed and confused. What happened last night? You go through your phone checking for any unintended texts you may have sent and scrolling past pictures you barely remember taking. That's alright we've all been there. Only the cure of a good brunch with poached egg, avocado toast and a strong bloody mary can make the weekend a truly successful one. You send that "Brunch?" group text to your girlfriends because what's brunch without your favorite girls to share it with, right? Enjoy the list of my favorite brunch spots that has phenomenal food, scrumptious cocktails and post oh-my god-about Saturday night-memories.
1. Jack's Wife Freda- This brunch joint is bright, very decently priced and has comfort Mediterranean food that fills my soul. Try the green shakshuka, peri peri chicken or any dish with halloumi cheese. The wait can get a bit crazy so try to go earlier than "typical" brunch time. Oh and did I mention the lighting is perfect for your Insta photos?
2. By Chloe- I think it is incredible how By Chloe has managed to make vegan food trendy and amazingly delicious. Not only does the decor of this place scream perfect girls brunch (instaheaven) but you'll feel really awesome about yourself as you're devouring tempeh-lentil-chia walnut burger with a side of sweet potato fries and beet sauce. I promise it will hit the spot. And if it doesn't then get their 100% vegan homemade vegan ice cream. Given the trendiness of this place, expect a long line around brunch.
3. Little Collins- Australian coffee shops are popping up all over NYC but only a handful has the perfect avo- toast. Little Collins' avocado toast has a generous portion of creamy avocado with chili flakes and pumpkin seeds. If you're feeling adventurous try "The Pick Me Up" sandwich with sage omelet, tabasco, tomatoes and sautéed onions or "The The Convict" which is toast with vegemite. Oh and get the flat white too.
4. Two Hands Restaurant & Bar- Two hands has two locations- one in Tribeca and the other on Mott street but I recommend going to the Tribeca location for a proper girls brunch. I love the large layout of the restaurant (great for chatting with your girlfriends without screaming), the delicious Australian coffee and of course the avocado toast. This place has one of my favorite avocado toasts in all of NYC. I've heard great things about the acai bowl as well.
5. Kichenette Uptown- Kichenette is an uptown gem that caters to the Columbia University community. You should go to Kitchenette regardless of your affiliation with Columbia because it's covered in polka dots, fun colors like green and pink and has a huge brunch list. I think they have every brunch dish you could wish for- pulled chicken hash, biscuits and gravy, pumpkin french toast and soooo much more. They also have a great selection of desserts if you're into that kinda thing (I hope you are).
6. Extra Virgin- Extra Virgin is on the pricier side for brunch but I love the ambience there. Tucked away in the heart of West Village this intimate restaurant known for their nightly dinner specials and yummy cocktails serves up a great neighborhood brunch. Their weekend menu has impressive nontraditional brunch dishes like mini lobster rolls and truffled mushroom asparagus turkey burger. However the salmon eggs benedict is too good to resist- proof shown below. You and your girls will feel right at home.
7. Tre NYC- Located in LES, Tre has an Italian menu with the classic NYC champagne brunch which is the $25 selection of entree, champagne and mimosas! Although the brunch menu is a bit limited in choices, this is a very popular spot for brunch downtown. Expect you and your girls to throw back many drinks...maybe even a champagne shower? The wait can be long here so plan accordingly.
8. Peace Food Cafe- Is it weird how much I love vegan places when I am not remotely close to being vegan? It just goes to show that good food is made with love, a lot of heart and can transcend arbitrary boundaries. The chickpea fries at Peace Food is like nothing I've ever had. If it is your first time at Peace Foods, get the chickpea fries and strawberry cheesecake (yes it is 100% vegan, dairy free, gluten free).
9. 12 Chairs Cafe- Middle Eastern brunch is not only filling but it's delicious. 12 Chairs Cafe is taking the brunch game up a notch by serving up dishes like eggs siniya (pictured below), hummus meat, hot chicken liver and my favorite sabich sandwich. Dare one of your girls to try the chicken liver.