If you don't live on the Upper West Side you most likely never come up here. You work in midtown and you play below 14th street. I get it cool kid. Why come to the land of Upper West Side when there is so much to eat/do downtown? I'll give you a few good reasons:
On a Saturday morning as you're nursing a hangover, try to make your way up to UWS for an oasis in the city and some of the best bagels in NYC.
1. Absolute Bagels- Incredible fresh baked bagels that have become an institution on the UWS. They're very generous with the cream cheese too so you're welcome in advance.
Feeling full? Walk it off in Riverside Park. As you walk alongside the Hudson River you can stop by the 103rd street dog run and wonder how your roommate would feel about you getting a dog. Don't be sad! If you ask nicely the dog owners may let you play with the pups. All this dog sight seeing must be wearing you out so grab a drink from Ellington in the Park, right across the dog park.
2. Ellington in the Park- They have great cocktails and a good selection of beer at an affordable price. If the bagel was not filling then go for the cheeseburger here. It's worth the calories.
It's mid afternoon and either you're not hungry (because you've had a bagel and/or a burger) or you are. In case you are then check out:
3. Xi'Ans Famous Foods- The hand pulled noodles are incredible. You cannot go wrong with the beef or lamb noodles. Just do it.
4. Fishtag- Great mediterranean food in a vibrant atmosphere. The lamb burger is worth the hype.
5. Sushi Yasaka- My favorite sushi spot second to Sushi Nakazawa. The price and quality makes me a regular here. The lunch deals include a 2 roll combo (with soup and salad) for $12 and a three roll combo (with soup and salad) for $16.
Take a break from eating before you explode and see what's happening in the Museum of Natural History. The suggestive donation will help you stay on budget after all that eating and the museum is easy to get lost in. Alternatively, Central Park is right across the museum if you're in the mood for more nature or to take pictures for Instagram.
It's around 6pm and happy hour is fast approaching. You want to get a little buzzed before you go back down, right? I suggest E's Bar, Jake's Dilemma or my personal favorite iced margarita joint, The Heights (purely because of college nostalgia).
See you back up here soon!